The Historical Museum of The Hague is located in the historical heart of The Hague. The museum is housed in the former archery house of St. Sebastian’s guild and dates from 1636. It is built on the spot of a gatehouse that was used by the civic guard.
Parts of its cross-vaulted basement have been incorporated in the new archery house and can still be seen today. The civic guard of St. Sebastian used their quarters for parties and meetings. Immediately behind the building, alongside the Hofvijver, their shooting ranges were situated.
Since the late 18th century, after the dissolution of the civic guard guild the building has been used as a hotel, court house and museum. Since 1986 the Historical Museum of The Hague resides in the St. Sebastiaansdoelen.